Thursday, June 3, 2010

Printing

Just a super quick post with some pretty pictures of what I've been upto in the wonderful RMIT print studio :)
REPEAT PRINTING


A small sample of what needs to be printed.Tests are VERY IMPORTANT :)


Handpainting solution( dye ) mixed and ready to go.I'm aiming for a indigo-ish tint with this one


Background all painted and ready to go!(I'm printing on a gorgeous silk-linen blend)

The screen awaits...

and printing in repeat begins :)
Incase anyone is interested : I used a technique called "discharge printing " in which a special paste is made which when printed onto coloured cloth removes all colour from the area printed = your design.
So,when steamed and washed the part of the fabric covered in my design will have all colour dischaged fromit to reveal the original colour of the base cloth which was WHITE.Cool hey?
I'll post up pictures of the final length shortly :) This piece of fabric is the backing for a patchwork scarf!
Exciting!

1 comment:

katherine said...

hi tanya!

just found your blog and i'm going through it quickly because it's laaate in california and i should be sleeping :)

love the discharge printing. definitely want to try it myself!

what is your favorite method of printing? that you do yourself and/or have seen?